ABOUT THE COMPANY – ISIMANGALISO
We (sagist.co.za team) are pleased to inform you about iSimangaliso Wetland Park Bursary 2022-2023 /read full details.
iSimangaliso Wetland Park, located in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa, is one of the largest protected area in the country. The park was previously known as the Greater St. Lucia Wetland Park, but in 2007 was renamed to iSimangaliso Wetland Park – iSimangaliso means “miracle” and “wonder” in Zulu.
In 1999, the Park was listed as the first World Heritage Site in South Africa, owing to its exquisite beauty. The Park houses 3 major lake systems, 8 interlinking ecosystems, historic fishing traditions, majority of the countries remaining swamp forests, the continents biggest estuarine system, over 500 bird species and over 20 000 year old coastal dunes.
ABOUT THE BURSARY PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
iSimangaliso Wetland Park Authority are offering bursary awards to youth who reside in communities surrounding the iSimangaliso Wetland Park in KwaZulu-Natal, and who wish to study in the Conservation or Tourism sector. iSimangaliso has been awarding bursaries since 2010, and has so far funded 98 students.
Bursaries will be awarded for studies in the following fields:
Conservation and related fields, including:
- Applied and Environmental Microbiology
- Conservation Ecology
- Environmental Planning
- Environmental Science
- Land Management
- Nature Conservation (Diploma)
- Veterinary Science
- Wildlife Studies
- Architectural Technology
- Building Science
- Civil Engineering
- Land Surveying
- Quantity Surveying
Business, Tourism and Hospitality:
- Accounting (including Chartered Accounting, Cost and Management Accounting, Internal Auditing, Taxation)
- Business Administration
- Business Information Systems
- Business Science
- Computer Science
- Cultural and Heritage Tourism
- Hospitality and Catering Management
- Tourism Management
- Development Facilitation
- Development Management
- Development Planning
- Development Studies
- Environmental Law
- Environmental Journalism
- Environmental Planning and Development
- Organisational Psychology
- Town and Regional Planning
MORE ABOUT THE BURSARY PROGRAMME – COVERAGE VALUE & OTHER OPPORTUNITIES
The bursary may provide cover for the following expenses: books, accommodation, meals, travel, laptop, data and other expenses (they will not cover tuition fees – that is for NSFAS expense).
Over and above the financial assistance, bursary recipients may also receive academic and psychosocial support, to help students adjust to university life and get support needed to pass – this will be conducted through REAP, iSimangaliso’s partner organisation.
Bursary recipients will also have the opportunity to take part in skills development workshops and community service initiatives during the holidays – this will improve work readiness.
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- Must be a resident of a land claimant communities from iSimangaliso Wetland Park Authority (including: Bhangazi, Dukuduku, Emandleni, Jobe, Mabaso, Makhasa, Mbila-Triangle, Mdletsheni, Mnqobokazi, Ngwenya, Nside, Sokhulu, Western Shores and Coastal Reserves
- Must be a resident of the Umkhanyakude District Municipality (in areas surrounding iSimangaliso Wetland Park) or Umfolozi Local Municipality (especially the Sokhulu area)
- Must be currently in Matric OR have completed Matric
- Must have achieved a minimum overall average of 55% in most recent results (Grade 11 or Matric)
- Must have been accepted to start your 1st year of study in one of the aforementioned fields of study
- Must have been accepted to study at one of the following public tertiary institutions in South Africa: University of KwaZulu-Natal / University of Johannesburg / University of the Western Cape / University of the Free State / Nelson Mandela University / Central University of Technology
- Must have applied for NSFAS funding or have proof that you have been successfully awarded a NSFAS bursary
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE BURSARY
Applications can be done in either of the following ways:
1) Apply online for the iSimangaliso Bursary
2) Download and complete the iSimangaliso Bursary Application Form (.pdf)
Hard copy application forms and documents must be submitted to:
The iSimangaliso Wetland Park Authority, The Dredger Harbour, St Lucia, 3639
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your application (online or with your hard copy application form) (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded):
- ID document (certified copy)
- Most recent academic results (Grade 11 or Matric) (certified copy)
- Proof of NSFAS bursary application
- Residents of a land claimant communities from iSimangaliso Wetland Park Authority: official letter from Chairperson of the Board of Trustees of your land claim Trust, confirming your membership of the land claim community
- Residents of the Umkhanyakude District Municipality or Umfolozi Local Municipality: official letter from local leader/ counsellor, confirming your residence in area and duration of time you have been residing there
- Proof of acceptance to study at: UKZN / UJ / UWC / UFS / NMU / CUT
- Motivational letter, explaining why you should be awarded the iSimangaliso Bursary (maximum 100 words)
Applications are currently closed and no applications will be accepted for the 2021/ 2022 academic year.
Applications will be reopen from September 2021 for the 2022 academic year.
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact iSimangaliso Wetland Park Authority directly:
Contact people: Nosipho Ngcobo / Ntsikelelo Kulati
Tel: 035 590 1633 / 035 590 1633
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
Please do NOT contact the iSimangaliso Wetland Park Authority if this bursary has already closed. View our other bursaries open for application here: https://www.zabursaries.co.za/bursary-news/
This bursary listing was last updated on: 5 April 2021.